Calendar Poodle SAL

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Gift Given

Hi friends! I bet you forgot. Or you think I forgot. Nope. I have been waiting patiently?! (ha!) Father Vasyl is our only priest. He serves our church and the mission church in Madison. There are only 5 Russian Orthodox Churches in the whole state of Wisconsin. So he is very busy.

Do you recall me stitching a certain needlepoint Theotokos icon? ;)
 Yes, this has been framed for months. It is not a size that is ready to be framed. We could not afford a custom frame at this time. So, I mounted it as I usually do by pinning to the mat board. Then I taped down the excess canvas. Brian wanted to help, so I asked him if he would cut a "custom mat". I bought black scrapbook paper and he cut it to fit exactly to the edges of the needlepoint. Once that was all done and in place, I covered the back with the brown craft paper. Then Brian mounted one of those picture hanger things on back.

Well, we had thought to give this to Father and Matushka when he came to bless our home. We did not realize it would take this long, but they came yesterday. It was wonderful. The highlight of my Mother's Day! :) After the blessing, I invited them to sit for tea and the cupcakes, brownies and rice krispie treats I made. We had nice conversation for half an hour. First I first gave them the icon I stitched for them.
To say Matushka was happy is an understatement. She began to rip the wrapping paper, could see what was inside, and exclaimed, "Oh!". She jumped up and squeezy hugged me. I would never have expected that. She hugged me tight three times in all during our visit. Thanking me profusely. She told me I could not have done a bigger or better thing for her. :)
Kazan Mother of God
I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. To put months of work into a piece, and have the recipients overjoyed, well, it feels fantastic my friends. I have gone over that scene in my mind a few times now. Each time I feel so glad and have the biggest smile on my face.

Maybe you recall I told you last year that when we had gone to a graduation party for their oldest son, back in June, I had admired two different cross stitched icons in their home. I asked Father's wife if she made them. No, an old woman back in Ukraine had made these for them. She told me she would love to have a Theotokos also some day. AHA! And so I decided to make one for her. I am so very glad I did!

I am stitching another pink Quaker motif on the black chocolate linen. A challenge today for sure. It is raining and quite overcast.

Thank you for stopping in. I hope you enjoyed the story I shared.

Stitching and praying,
Vickie


28 comments:

Purple Pixie Dust said...

That is why we do stitching for others, it gives our hearts joy to know that all the hard work we put into doing for others comes back in big hugs and smile. you did a wonderful thing. I am sure she will treasure it forever..Big hugs Lynda Ruth

You are blessed.

Anne said...

I'm so happy for you my dear that you FINALLY got to give the beautifully stitched Theotokis to Batushka and his Matushka. I knew she would be thrilled and grateful! Big hugs and prayers to you!!

marly said...

You gave her such a special gift. It's beautiful and something she will treasure always.

Melissa said...

Ahh, Vickie, you are a bright star with a warm, warm heart. The stitching and finishing are wonderful. No wonder she was so happy. Seeing your hard work rewarded by the pleasure in the recipient's eyes - that's just the best!

Annie said...

What a nice thing to do. And so great to have your beautiful, loving work appreciated so much. Good feelings all around! Congrats!

Carol said...

How wonderful that your lovingly stitched gift was so well-received, Vickie! It truly is a work of art and I know it will be treasured forever :) I'm smiling right along with you!!

Margaret said...

Oh that is so wonderful! I'm so glad they were so thrilled and overjoyed by your beautiful work. It's such a masterpiece, it deserves such a reaction. Beautiful!

Cindy's Stitching said...

Awesome Vickie. Its always so nice when someone really appreciates the work you have done. The frame is perfect.

gominam said...

That's very thoughtful of you, and to see how it is so much appreciated makes your day, wonderful!

ALICE MARGAUX said...

Such a lovely gesture, it is always great to make people happy. Sunny Greetings from New Orleans, Alice

Angela said...

I think that's the best feeling when the person you have stitched something for really loves it :) It turned out beautifully!

Frances said...

Your stitching is so beautiful and I know they were truly thrilled to receive it! It's easy to give something when the honored person loves it, too!!

Unknown said...

Dear Vickie , what generous and beautiful gift. You've put into it so much labor and wast rewarded . I am very happy for you .
Liesbte Greetings from Germany
your Sandra

Annette-California said...

I've been waiting patiently for the day to come when you got to present your gift to them. I had tears in my eyes reading your story. This is a remarkable gift you stitched from a remarkable lady. Getting to see their reactions I know made your heart glow!!! A very wonderful thing you did Vickie! Lovely how you and Brain framed it!
love Annette

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Heartwarming that your gift was so enthusiastically received.It is a beautiful piece lovingly framed.

Justine said...

What a generous gift of your time Vickie. I'm so glad it was well received and will be loved.

Mii Stitch said...

Oh lovely!! So nice to see such a happy reaction, makes it all worth while :)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

What a wonderful thing to share with those special people in your life. They will gaze lovingly upon it and smile and think of you and you will relive that most special moment and smile and think of them. That is exactly what Our Blessed Mother does for us and what she wishes for us as well! Pretty perfect Vickie!

KimM said...

What a generous gift. I love to give my things away, too. My motto is "The work of the hands brings forth the spirit of the heart." I have this stitched and hanging in our sunroom. You have a magnificent, generous spirit.
xxx

Beth said...

What a beautiful and wonderfully thought gift Vickie!

Carolien said...

What a wonderful gift, Vickie, and I'm so glad it was appreciated so much! Many, many hours of stitching ... it looks beautiful on your pictures!!!

Happy stitching & enjoy the day,
Carolien

Lillie said...

Wow! both the finished piece and the frame are perfect and a wondrous gift.

Andrea said...

I'm so pleased you got that reaction. It was a beautiful gift.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

So many hours of thoughtful stitching Vickie and such a wonderful response. So well deserved.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

How fantastic that they loved this piece as much as we do! It's a beautiful piece of needlework and has a special meaning too.
I am sure your ears will be burning when they display it in their home and everyone admires it!
It's so great when people really appreciate the love and work you put in to something like this.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Vickie it is so very beautiful - no wonder they loved it! blessings, marlene

Brigitte said...

When I look at your finished and framed Theodokus I can imagine how much happiness and bliss and joy this gift gave the priest and his wife.

rosey175 said...

Hooray, it's given! I'm sure it is really wonderful to have their warm fuzzy happiness wash over you when you gave it to them. :D I'm sure you are still smiling about it.