Calendar Poodle SAL

Friday, October 9, 2015

Craft Club Update

Hi friends! I am so very disappointed that I did not finish stitching up Henry this week. I just cannot. My wrist and forearm hurt. I continue to do the hand and wrist exercises. I am reading The Photograph by Beverly Lewis instead of stitching.

Please remember our dear friend Cucki in your prayers. She needs them very much. She is suffering in pain STILL 5 months after her car accident. Her back is injured.

Here is an update on our little craft club of three. So with my wrist keeping me out of stitching action, I have been piecing the pink tumbler blocks together. I will have a picture for you next week of my Tumbler Quilt progress. AP Art is keeping Madeleine painting. I bet you thought Emerson put knitting aside since he began carpentry school. Nope! Now I do not know how to explain this correctly. I will try. As you may recall, Emerson has taking a liking to knitting socks. The first one was a grey tube sock. It looked great, but he thought it seemed a bit tight and he wanted to do the flap and gusset sock next. So he did. He made another grey sock, with the heel, but again, it was tight. hmm. So you guessed it, he made another grey sock. This one he made a touch bigger. He also discovered while watching yet another online knitting video, that the problem was that he was inserting the needle in the front instead of the back of the stitch. Or something like that. I think you knitters may know what he means. The difference is that the way he WAS doing it gave NO stretch. The correct way he is now doing it, gives stretch. So guess what happened? sigh. The poor guy. That grey sock turned out for a giant's foot!!! But it has stretch! ;)
Finally! A sock that fits very well.
So.... yes, another grey sock. This one is with a different yarn. A thicker,darker grey, mohair yarn. He decided to go with his own measurements. And... it fits!

And now? A much needed second, matching sock! ;)

I still have flowers blooming. Here are three pink ones.
The vegetables are still growing too. This eggplant is growing out sideways. :)
I plan to finish my book this weekend. I also plan to stitch on Henry. I have two gift pieces I would love to get started stitching on!

I hope you have a very nice weekend my friends! Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate you!

Stitching and praying,
Vickie

24 comments:

Maggie said...

I only tried knitting socks once and got in such a pickle,
still not knit the matching one, lol.

Hope your hand is better soon.

Barbara said...

Vickie, I am so sorry you are in such pain. I've been praying that you would get some relief but I guess it just takes time. My hat is off to Emerson who has such patience to try and knit a pair of socks. I'm a knitter and I know what you mean by the back of the stitch but I just can't knit with 4 needles. I have tried and I feel like I'm all thumbs and you continually surprise me with your beautiful flowers.
Blessings

Mii Stitch said...

Very impressive sock!!!
I'm sure it will be warm & comfortable.

diamondc said...

Hi Vickie: I hope your hand gets better soon, I have fibromyalgia, so am always in some kind of pain.
Three socks and another on the horizon, well he is much braver then me I tried knitting and almost cried.
love your floral pictures so beautiful.

Blessings
Catherine

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I don't knit but I am impressed by your son's perseverance. I guess the whole family will be getting socks for Christmas? Watch out if you see him hiding pink wool every time you appear!

Unknown said...

Dear Vickie ,
oh your hand makes you still have problems , I hope very much that it is now but heals quickly . The story with the socks , I found very funny and charming , how about the much too large sock simply embellish a flower pot , might turn a few colorful buttons already it is a unique design Sock Topf..smile ...
Your flowers are a treat for the eyes , they still bloom so beautifully .
Wish you all the best
your Sandra

marly said...

What happened? I'm so out of the loop. At least I can comment in your text box. Most times I cannot, and some blogs I can't even get a cursor. Whatever happened, I hope you're icing and using a soft brace, healing quickly.

Bea said...

Good for Emerson for sticking with it until he figured it out - that's a good looking sock.
Hope your pain goes away soon.
Bea

Angela Tucker said...

Good evening, Vickie. I am so sorry that you're still fighting the pain. Life is just not fun when you hurt.

I am very impressed with that sock! I am a dishcloth knitter ONLY!! And sometimes, it's a good thing that they get stuck in the water...that way you don't have to see how misshapen they are. LOL Go Emerson!!

Have a great weekend!

Julie said...

Well done that guy, fabulous sock knitting. It is addictive.
Sending pain free (hugs) xx

Isabelle said...

Vickie, I hope your hand is better very soon :)
I never could knit a sock....yours looks great !!

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Good for Emerson..he certainly has staying power in the sock knitting department.A great trait to have if one wants to succeed.
I am sorry that you are still in pain,I hope more rest will help you to get back to your stitching.

butterfly said...


Oh Vickie sorry you are having a baf time with your arm .

You still have beautiful flowers in your garden .

Love the sock , If I ever get time I may try and knit a pair one year.

Take care sweet friend and get better soon.

Cindy's Stitching said...

Sorry you are in pain Vickie. Finally got an iPad to catch up on blogging. Such pretty pictures.

Jackie's Stitches said...

So sorry to hear that you're in such pain. I hope you heal well and soon - you need to take care of YOU. Stitching will happen when it's time. So sorry to hear about Cucki too.

I understood the knitting piece perfectly! Glad Emerson has it all figured out!

Beth said...

Hope the exercises help Vickie.

gominam said...

I don't know how to knit but that is looking good! I hope your pain eases soon.

Weronika said...

Ihope You will be better soon. Take care.

moreofhim said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having pain and can't stitch right now. I will be praying for you and asking the Lord for total healing! I think it's wonderful that you have your little craft group of 3! I love the grey sock and am so impressed at his knitting skills. I keep trying to knit but I struggle. Your flowers are gorgeous, too. All my roses have died off because of the cold here but hubby brought home a Mum for me and I have it planted inside. So wonderful to have flowers!

Take care, Vickie, and I'm praying for you!

Love - Julie

Margaret said...

I'm so sorry your wrist and arm still hurt. Such a bummer! :( Loved hearing that Madeleine is still painting. And good for Emerson too! He is braver than I am. I still don't dare to tackle socks. lol! Glad he kept persisting and finally has a sock that fits. Hope he doesn't get second sock syndrome. (Being a knitter, I think he will know what that is. :D ) Glad you are managing to work on the tumbler too. Hang in there!

Michelle said...

Sorry you are having problems Vickie sending you a hug. I love your sock well done xx

Brigitte said...

So sorry to hear that your wrist hasn't become better in the meantime and with no stitching. I hope it doesn't get worse but only better. So Henry has to wait a little bit longer.
Those great knitting efforts of your son have finally led to the perfect sock, Congratulations!

Carolien said...

Hello Vickie,

O dear, I hope your wrist and arm are much better by now, such a disappointment indeed!
I think Emerson is a really cool guy, wow! I also admire his determination and patience .., and he got there in the end! Great!
Of course I look forward to your pink blocks ;)

Take care, dear friend!
Bye, Carolien

Christina said...

Good for him on not getting discouraged with his knitting. Wow, I can't believe you are still getting summer vegetables. Even though it is still warm here, DH is working on our fall garden. Thank you for the flower pictures. I miss my flower garden.