Calendar Poodle SAL

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

December Joyful World

Hi friends! It is going to be mild here today. Sunny and in the 50's! Amazing!

I have a finish I want to share with you. I completed the December Joyful World last night. The series is complete!
I stitched this one over one with DMC on 25ct Moss lugana. I wasn't sure about my fabric choice, but in the end I like it! :) I did make a few floss changes: 3021 to 420; 320 to 3364;  833 to 420.
 
ooOoo! I am excited to share with you a new-to-me book series I came across. I read the first book in the series, and I am hooked! Have you ever read a book and just not wanted it to end? I actually did not read the first book, I listened to it on CD, on loan from our library. What book am I talking about? Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs got her start as a maid in an aristocratic London household when she was thirteen. Her employer, suffragette Lady Rowan Compton, soon became her patron, taking the remarkably bright youngster under her wing. Lady Rowan's friend, Maurice Blanche, often retained as an investigator by the European elite, recognized Maisie’s intuitive gifts and helped her earn admission to the prestigious Girton College in Cambridge, where Maisie planned to complete her education.

The outbreak of war changed everything. Maisie trained as a nurse, then left for France to serve at the Front, where she found—and lost—an important part of herself. Ten years after the Armistice, in the spring of 1929, Maisie sets out on her own as a private investigator, one who has learned that coincidences are meaningful, and truth elusive. Her very first case involves suspected infidelity but reveals something very different.

In the aftermath of the Great War, a former officer has founded a working farm known as The Retreat, that acts as a convalescent refuge for ex-soldiers too shattered to resume normal life. When Fate brings Maisie a second case involving The Retreat, she must finally confront the ghost that has haunted her for over a decade.

I am not-very-patiently waiting for the audio copy of book #2 in this series. So I think I may just go over to our library and get the actual book. I need to finish reading my Jane Austen book first!!


I am now off to work on Jacob's second ornament. I will share that finish with you next time.

The results from the camera pill are all normal. The doctor said I look good in there. I am to continue taking iron three times daily and see a hematologist. My hemoglobin has gone up. Hooray! I am no longer severely anemic. It is 10.9 now. A woman's hemoglobin should be 12. So I am getting there.

I hope you have a fantastic week my friends! Thank you for stopping by today.

Stitching and praying,
Vickie

36 comments:

Jenny said...

Good Morning Vickie,

Lol I am still giggling on this cold Tuesday Morning...Why? I have been searching for a good series to read and I was just looking at Maisie Dobbs and was going to check my library this morning for the first book...lol! Now I know I will love it!!!

Your stitching finish is just beautiful my friend! Congratulations on finishing the whole series! I love every single month of this series but this little deer just tugs at my heartstrings!

I am so behind on my Christmas stitching but there is always hope that I woo catch up! We will see! I am anxious to see the next part of Jacobs ornament!

Hugs my friend!

Jenny said...

P.S. The word is will not woo...lol! I guess my fingers are not awake yet..lol

Robin in Virginia said...

First, good news on the pill camera results and glad your level is rising. Your December piece looks great. I really like the deer in this one. Hope the headache has lessened in pain for you!

Maggee said...

Congrats on those negative test results, which show you are a-ok inside!! And on getting that iron up! Keep at it... Of course, I am going to check out the Maisie book too! I love listening to books while stitching, but don't do it nearly enough! Last, but not the least deserving attention, is your finished December piece. Wow! I really like that deer... very serene looking piece! Lovely! Hugs!

Karyn said...

First of all...I am so glad to hear that the pill camera results are normal...praising the Lord with you, not to mention that your numbers are up...Yay, and a big Hug Vickie!
Your December finish is beautiful...and I am saluting you for both following thru and finishing the Joyful World series, as mine is still sitting in chart form inside my chart box...I will get to it one day :)
Your book sounds great, and I will go check it out, thanks for the synopsis. I have been thinking about reading the Poldark series, but it is loooong!
Have a great day
Hugs

CalamityJr said...

Your December finish is beautiful! I don't think you could have chosen a better fabric; I've seen several where the fabric was too light for the dove to show well, but yours is perfect. Great news from the pill camera. Glad your numbers are improving. Keep up the good work!

butterfly said...


Beautiful ornament so sweet.
Great news from the pill camera hugs.

Linda said...

Congrats on the pretty finish Vickie. So glad to hear that everything was normal.

Linda

Manuela said...

Wonderful December finish. I like it.
Have a nice week.

Carolien said...

Such a lovely finish, Vickie, makes me long for Christmas.
I am very happy that things are going upwards now, hurray!

Have a good day, my friend.
Hugs, Carolien

Justine said...

Such a lovely finish - I think that fabric is perfect!

Lili said...

Lovely ornament!
I'm so glad for the good news!! :)
Hugs,
Lili

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Glad your haemaglobin is improving and your procedure showed all is well.
Your last Snowflower Diaries piece is very pretty:)

Unknown said...

I love the Masie Dobbs series! I have read the first 8 books and can't wait to read the rest of them.
Love the ornament finish and the sweet little deer. I think I need to do this one.

Bea said...

What a wonderful finish to the series and a terrific addition to your cubby.

Love it when I find a series that grabs my imagination right away, so I'm so pleased you found one. I'll have to check my library.

I'm glad the camera didn't find a problem, but that doesn't really give you any answers, does it? Hopefully you will find some soon.

Barb said...

So happy to hear you are getting better. I do love that little December design. Thank you for the book suggestion. I wrote down the title and author.

Angela Tucker said...

Very, very nice, Vickie. I have saved all those patterns, but seem to be stuck in "knitting" mode. LOL

Well, I ALWAYS knew that you were more than a "10". LOL LOL LOL I'm so glad that you are feeling better. SMILE.

Christina said...

Nice stitching. Glad your results came back with good news and that your numbers are getting better.

Angela said...

Love the December finish! Glad to hear your iron levels are going up.

Irmeli said...

Congrats to the last finishing of Joyful World SAL. It's lovely ornament.

Mii Stitch said...

Congrats on the latest December finish!
I like your choice of stitching fabric, it goes well with the design :)

Cathy said...

Good for you for finishing the Joyful World series! I'm still stitching January! But I did interrupt that project for another one with a deadline. Anyway, lovely stitching! I'm glad you're getting some good medical results. Take care.
Cathy

Carol said...

Love the final SAL piece, Vickie--I think this is my favorite design of the series!

So happy for you--you are getting stronger each day with the increased hemoglobin counts!! You'll be "normal" in no time, I'm sure!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations on completing The Joyful World series, each one is lovely stitched over one.
Good to hear the camera found nothing amiss and good news about the iron levels too. You have to be at least a 12 to give blood which is why I only managed it two or three times. I'm usually around an 11.
Eat more rusty nails!

Andrea said...

A wonderful finish to complete the series of designs. Good to hear the camera pill found everything normal. I guess that it is at least something to cross off the list. Good to know that your iron levels are going up too.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I'm so glad you got a good result Vickie and are moving forward with your levels.

Halland House Gifts said...

What a wonderful report coupled with some glorious cooler weather. :-)

Hilda said...

Oh Vicky, I am smitten by your wonderful December-"A Joyful World"
This is such a sweet design - I think this one is my favorite (just have seen it at my stitching friend Manuela's blog, but your's looks different - and I really love both)

Have a wonderful rest of the week, my dear friend!
Hope your good iron levels also helps you with your headaches!

Hugs
Hilda

stitchersanon said...

I'm thrilled you got good results. I love the finish..very cute xx

Kaisievic said...

Hi Vickie, Lovely finish, I am hoping that you will do a post which shows all 12 finishes together - I would love to see them all again. Glad to hear that your tests went well and good luck with getting your iron levels up. Thanks for the book recommendation - I have seen the series but just never got around to reading them - I will add them to my wish list on Audible. The two similar series I am enjoying listening to are The Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen and the Maggie Hope series by Susan Elia MacNeal. The Josephine Tey series by Nicola Upson is also very good, although I read the books on my kindle not listened to them. I hope that this is helpful. love Kaye xxx

Brigitte said...

Good for you that you have already finished the December installment of the Joyful World SAL. A new item for your cubby shelf.
And also good for you that you hemoglobin is going up. I'm sure it will help your to feel better.

Astrids dragon said...

What a lovely finish, he looks fantastic! I'm still behind, no point in rushing now!
Glad to hear that the results came back normal, one day at a time.

Sarah in Stitches said...

Gorgeous finish! Congrats on completing the series :D

Beth said...

Wow! You stitched the entire Snowflower Diary series - that is awesome!

Von said...

Great job finishing December! I like your choice to replace that 833 color! I knew that one had to go when I pulled it out, lol!
Keep on taking that iron - so glad the numbers are going in the right direction! :D

gominam said...

Just love this finish! One of my favorites, it's so adorable and neat.