Calendar Poodle SAL

Friday, July 14, 2017

Happy Birthday

Hi friends. I want to thank you with my whole heart. You have reached out and shown me true friendship. I have been comforted by your sweet messages. Thank you. Thank you for caring. It means a lot. It makes a difference. I feel the love. It brings joy, yes joy to my heart knowing so many of you cared about little Mabel. And my heart needs that. I know so very many of you know just what this feels like, losing a dear, beloved pet. That broken, crumpled heart feeling. Thank you once again for your kindness.

I finished Happy Birthday, pattern #6 in the Anniversaries of the Heart series. This sampler is dedicated to my paternal grandparents. My Grandpa died when I was only 6 months old. My Grandma died right after I turned one year old. Here is their wedding picture. Isn't this fantastic?
The upper third of my Happy Birthday had to be altered. When stitching this entire sampler series one over one on 25ct linen, some alterations are necessary to fit names and dates. So I created a different border to go across the top of the pattern. I am happy with how the names and dates fit. 😊
(One over one on 25ct cream Dublin linen)

I used all DMC on this. I changed the pinks and the purple, in the same way I did on Pink Hill Manor. I also changed the brown of the house to 3864. I changed the grey of the roof to 318.

And the really obvious change?! HA! Out with the birds, in with the poodles! I put in two Mabels in Pink Hill Manor. I put in two Henrys in Happy Birthday. How do you like that?!? Personally, I LOVE it!💕
 That is my father's sampler you can just see above this one, his parent's sampler.❤️


Okay, tied with my favorite Maisie Dobb books, is this book for best book I read this year. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford is sooooo good! You should read it. There. That is all I need to say.
In the opening pages of Jamie Ford’s stunning debut novel, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Henry Lee comes upon a crowd gathered outside the Panama Hotel, once the gateway to Seattle’s Japantown. It has been boarded up for decades, but now the new owner has made an incredible discovery: the belongings of Japanese families, left when they were rounded up and sent to internment camps during World War II. As Henry looks on, the owner opens a Japanese parasol.

This simple act takes old Henry Lee back to the 1940s, at the height of the war, when young Henry’s world is a jumble of confusion and excitement, and to his father, who is obsessed with the war in China and having Henry grow up American. While “scholarshipping” at the exclusive Rainier Elementary, where the white kids ignore him, Henry meets Keiko Okabe, a young Japanese American student. Amid the chaos of blackouts, curfews, and FBI raids, Henry and Keiko forge a bond of friendship–and innocent love–that transcends the long-standing prejudices of their Old World ancestors. And after Keiko and her family are swept up in the evacuations to the internment camps, she and Henry are left only with the hope that the war will end, and that their promise to each other will be kept.

Forty years later, Henry Lee is certain that the parasol belonged to Keiko. In the hotel’s dark dusty basement he begins looking for signs of the Okabe family’s belongings and for a long-lost object whose value he cannot begin to measure. Now a widower, Henry is still trying to find his voice–words that might explain the actions of his nationalistic father; words that might bridge the gap between him and his modern, Chinese American son; words that might help him confront the choices he made many years ago.

Set during one of the most conflicted and volatile times in American history, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is an extraordinary story of commitment and enduring hope. In Henry and Keiko, Jamie Ford has created an unforgettable duo whose story teaches us of the power of forgiveness and the human heart.
 I am now finally back to stitching on the big anniversary gift I am making for Brian, Forever Be My Always by Emma Congdon.
I hope you have a restful weekend my friends. We will be celebrating Emerson's 21st birthday with family on Sunday afternoon.

Stitching and praying,
Vickie




29 comments:

MartinaM said...

Oh Vicky What a beautiful photo of the wedding of your grandparents. And so a beautiful embroidery work. I like the change of the colors very well.
Oh - I am already looking forward to pictures of your next work, she will surely be beautiful.
Hugs, Martina

Stasi said...

What a wonderful photo of your grandparent's wedding! They would be "tickled pink" knowing you were commemorating them in your needlework!

Mii Stitch said...

Great stitching! I just love the poodles additions, this is a lovely way to personalise your little crosses.
Have a fabulous time at the milestone birthday party!

CJ said...

I am so sorry to read about your Mabel passing. They give us such unconditional love and joy. I truly enjoyed looking at all her pictures and feeling the happiness they gave you.

I love the poodles in your stitching. Very sweet tribute to your grandparents.

Hope you are having a good day. Hugs.

CJ

Anonymous said...

Hello Vickie
I love your stitching and the way you've changed it to include your lovely poodles. I admire you stitching 1 over 1 too.
What a special photo too.
I hope you enjoy the party on Sunday xx

Mary said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents. such a shame that you didn't know them personally, but you obviously learned about them from family to make such a lovely commemorative stitch. Such a lovely wedding photo of a beautiful couple.
Maryand RJ

Robin in Virginia said...

What a beautiful tribute to (and photo of) your grandparents, Vickie! Happy early birthday wishes to Emerson! Thinking of you!

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

I was doing ok until you showed sweet little Mabels picture there at the end. She looks so adorable in that photo. I will miss seeing her cute little shelf. I send you ((hugs)) sweet friend, it's always hard when you loose a loved one...two or four legs, no matter, love is love. :) How are the other sweeties doing without her? I bet they miss her, too. Hugs to them ((hugs)) an of course you as well. :)

The picture of your Grandparents is just awesome. I love seeing those old pictures, such wonderful memories and look of love on their faces. Priceless.

Your stitching is beautiful. As always sweet friend, you are truly a master of the needle.

Blessings always sweet friend. ((hugs))

marly said...

You are really good at changing over one placements to fit. Very nice Vickie. Turning 21? That deserves a party!

gracie said...

Beautiful picture and as always lovely stitching. You are so talented to be able to make major alterations and have the pattern still work.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Your grandparents photo is such a treasure.I love what you have changed and substituted in their comemorative piece.
Happy Birthday to Emerson ,21 is very special.I hope you all enjoy the celebrations.
I love your photo of Mabel:)

Karyn said...

Beautiful samplers, Vickie, and I love the color changes. I especially love the names of your grandparents and their birth dates. Such wonderful treasures you created. The Mabels and the Henrys are such great ideas, I might use it on the kid's Bless Our Home Sampler and add a Teagan and a Leo in place of the ugly horse/lizard thingies that are in the design...thanks for the idea.
Your grandparent's wedding picture is wonderful, and it looks like a very fancy and loving wedding! Such a treasure, and in such amazing condition.
I read your book recommendation, and you're right it was sooooo good! A must read!
I'm excited to see Brian's anniversary stitch in progress, it's so cool and such a great love gift. The colors are fantastic!
Have a great weekend and a very Happy Birthday to Emerson.
You remain in my prayers <3 Such a sweet pic of Miss Mabel, her very self.

Manuela said...

Hello Vickie,
the photo from your grandparents is wonderful.
I like your version of this block.
I'm looking forward to the next pictures of your other WIP.
Have a nice weekend and a wonderful birhtday party for Emerson.
Hugs, Manuela

Jenny said...

Hi Vickie,
Beautiful job on your Happy Birthday block! It looks just lovely and the color changes are just right! And the poodles? Perfect! Just perfect!
I have to smile at the book you just finished! I have been thinking about reading that book...it sounded so great, so now I know it is good! Thanks for the recommendation! ❤️
Have a great weekend my friend!
Sending hugs and love!

Linda said...

Congrats on finishing another block Vickie. It looks great. I love your Emma Congdon piece. Can you tell me where you got the pattern.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a wonderful wedding photo of your grandparents. Is that their birth years in the sampler? They did die young, my grandparents were slightly older (1914 and 1915, married in 1936) but managed over 60 years of wedded bliss. Mostly!
I do like all the little family details you are adding to this sampler, especially the double-Mabels in this block.
Happy Birthday to your son for the weekend.

Margaret said...

Your changes in this block are perfect -- it's so distinctly you! Loved seeing the pic of your grandparents. That train is amazing! Yes, Hotel is such a good book. I love Jamie Ford!

butterfly said...

What a beautiful wedding photo, I so love the wedding dress just beautiful .
It is sad that you never got to meet them both , they looked such a lovely couple.
Lovely stitching Vickie a lovely way to remind you of your family .
Have a wonderful Birthday get together and a Happy Birthday to your son.

Barb said...

I'm so glad your words helped ease the pain even a little bit. We read Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet as a community read. We then had a lecture on the international district in Seattle. My DH and I took that map when we visited that part of the city.Love the stitching, so pretty!

Justine said...

I love how you're personalising this sampler Vickie - it's so you with all the pink and poodles! That looks like a very grand wedding, and a handsome couple.

Lili said...

Lovely tribute to your grandparents. Another beautiful finishing block!
Happy Birthday to your son !

Hugs,
Lili

Rachel said...

Oh Vickie, I am so sorry to hear about Mabel. What a beautiful girl, I'm sure she brought you lots of love. I'm thinking about you today!

Your anniversary square is one of my favorites. I love the changes you made, especially the poodles!

Julie said...

Another beautiful square for your keepsake piece.

Frances said...

That is a beautiful wedding photo! So, so pretty!
Your stitching and colors are beautiful, as always!
Again, I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Mabel. Do you remember that my mother's parents were named Mabel and Henry??

Beth said...

I love hand-tinted photos and the wedding photo is wonderful as is your stitching tribute.

Brigitte said...

That's a really great wedding picture of your grandparents. So sad that you didn't get to know them. But this new block of the Anniversaries is a wonderful tribute to them.

moreofhim said...

I love the wedding picture of your grandparents! What a treasure! I'm so sorry you didn't know them, though. That book sounds really good and I have put it on hold at the library. Thanks for always sharing your book reviews! Your stitching is so beautiful! I love seeing what you're working on.

Blessings - Julie

Maggee said...

Great finish, with your'touches' to it! That picture of your grandparents is a beautiful remembrance. Wish I had such a one of my paternal grandparents. They were gone before my parents even married. My maternal grandparents were alive, but they did not especially enjoy children... :( I have that book on my list, but it has not been at my library as an audiobook yet. Not that I don't have plenty of others to read or listen to right now! Big hugs to you!

Meari said...

The photo of your grandparents is so beautiful!